Southern Distinction presents a new recipe every day from one of our sponsored restaurants of the week! This week we present Chops & Hops from Watkinsville, Ga. along with other sponsors including Striplings General Store, Tom Homann Pottery, Fire to Flavor, Southern Brewing Company, Hillside Orchards, The Veggie Patch, and The Olive Basket.
Sausage and Kraut
By Chops & Hops and Tom Homann Pottery
.Mild Sausage (8oz grilled) (Striplings General Store)
1 medium head of purple cabbage
5 juniper berries
3 Tbsp. Kosher salt
½ cup of water
1 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Mason jar
- Have 1 Mason jar ready to put the ingredients in.
- Remove core of the purple cabbage and save 1 of the outer leafs.
- Finely julienne the purple cabbage and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, juniper berries, caraway seeds, and apple cider vinegar to mixing bowl and massage for 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the ingredients in the Mason jar and add ½ cup of water.
- Save the drippings (brine) for ogre cabbage.
- Place the outer leaf on top of the Mason jar and secure the Mason jar somewhat tight.
- Let stand for 4 days in cool, dark cupboard.
Ingredients: Crisp Sweet Potatoes
1 sweet potato (peeled and thinly sliced)
¼ cup panko
1 Tbsp. buttermilk
½ cup canola oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Whisk egg, salt and pepper and buttermilk together.
- Place batter sliced potatoes in egg mixture.
- Dredge in panko.
- Fry in canola oil until golden brown.
Owners Patrick & Mychell Lang and Andrew & Jessica Wallace have created the perfect combination of upscale and casual putting a southern twist on menu items such as the Southern Charm and the Fried Green Tomato Tower. Also, because of their southern hospitality, when you dine at Chops & Hops, you immediately become part of their family. The owners are there on a daily basis and make a point to build relationships with their patrons. “Our guests often compare us to the sitcom Cheers – where locals meet to eat, drink, relax, and socialize.”